Pumpkin beer tasting - Brain Sparging on Brewing

Latest

Sour beer, saisons, farmhouse beer, homebrewing, ramblings

October 20, 2011

Pumpkin beer tasting

After roughly six weeks between fermenter and bottle conditioning it was time to taste my pumpkin beer. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. It's a somewhat bland beer. The spicing was fairly weak, as was the pumpkin flavor. For a first go, I can't be too mad. It's not a bad beer, just kind of bland. I will probably experiment with adding some spice blends in the glass to see if I can improve upon it. That way I can have a better recipe for next year. In addition to upping the spice, I think I would like to add a little roasted barley to get some roasty flavor and probably use real pumpkin instead of the canned stuff.

Oh well. It was a good learning opportunity. Not every recipe can be a knock out. My wife likes it so I'll let her drink the vast majority of the beer. I'll sample enough from her beers to try to get a good spice complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment