Changes from Batch 1 to Batch 2 of One Gallon Spontaneous Fermentation Recipe
Two small changes to the recipe: (1) adjusting hops to the aged hops on hand; and (2) adding oak. The oak addition will be light. Three medium char oak cubes are steamed in the microwave to remove some of the fresh oak flavor. I find this is about the right amount to gain minimal oak flavor and a good balance of tannins.
|A lot of aged hops for one gallon|
Brewday & Fermentation Notes
Sent outside at 4:28pm. Transferred to heated cooler at 5pm. Realized the volume was significantly low at this point and added waves of hot distilled water from 5-5:30pm to get up to one gallon of wort. This explains the variance at the 5:30pm reading. I added about a third of a gallon of water so clearly my boil off calculation was way off.
Day ended up colder and windier than expected but even with approximately ten degrees cooler ambient temperatures the wort was only a handful of degrees below what batch one's warmer evening produced at similar intervals. Here's the cooling:
2.14.17: Gave a quick taste. Tastes very similar to other wild/spontaneous cultures. Muddled estery profile with banana, melon, cherry, strawberry, peach. Muddled bottom end with musty, generic phenolic spice. Slightly mushroom-y. Apple juice-y. Still fairly sweet and thick like a hefeweizen with a big sweet orange slice. Not far from the batch coolshipped in November 2016 but less bitter, likely due to dialing back the hopping rate.