Slow month for brewing, busy month for school - Brain Sparging on Brewing

Latest

Sour beer, saisons, farmhouse beer, homebrewing, ramblings

November 22, 2011

Slow month for brewing, busy month for school

This has been a particularly busy month which is why I haven't had a chance to write anything since the beginning of the month. I have a solid week of studying (minus a little turkey time) and then two hardcore weeks of studying intermixed with four finals. I'll be especially happy when this semester ends for a couple of reasons. First, it's the last heavy load semester of classes and second, the day after finals end my wifey and I are going to visit friends in Colorado and cram in a cool eight brewery tours in six days. It's the perfect time to go and get all those rare tap house-only Christmas beers/winter warmers. When I return I will get to brew the second year of the lambic solera and take my first taste of that beer, so I'm excited both to get to brew a big batch and to taste the lambic. I also hope to get another small batch or two fired up if I have the time. Unfortunately I have a lot of non-brewing stuff waiting to get done over the break and next semester.

I am excited for December to roll around because that means it's time to break open my winter saison, which I brewed all the way back in March to give the brett time to wear out. The beer has a little cinnamon and a big helping of homemade candy sugar so I have high expectations for the beer. There's also a hoard of beers to open in my beer stash. My bottle of Petrus oud bruin I bought back in May will get opened up after my last final. I also have a couple bottles of Goudenband and Liefman's kriek I'm very excited to try. I also have a wit, Blanche de Namur, that looks interesting, the new Ovilla Quad, one of my winter favorites, Affligem Noel, a year old bottle of Scaldis Noel, a Jester King collaboration hoppy wheat, and not to be left out, a vienna/rye I brewed at the beginning of the month but lost the time to bottle.

December will also mark the opening of the first Specs Liquor in the Dallas area. Specs is a south Texas chain of liquor stores that sells a great selection of beer, wine and liquors. They are also extremely reasonably priced for the selection they offer. I'm excited to hit those great deals.

I will also promise to release more posts next month, including the tasting, bottling, replenishing and final decisions about the lambic solera for year one. I will include the vienna/rye blond recipe and some tasting notes, tasting of the winter saison, some thoughts on the legal intricacies of opening a brewery, and hopefully a lot more, including what I learn and taste at all those brewery tours. I hope I can get everything done with my abbreviated winter break -- I am losing a week to some week-long winter session classes -- and start anew for the spring.

Into 2012


As with 2011 I expect to do a lot of brewing in the early part of 2012, namely because the cold temperatures makes keeping batches cool considerably easier than the warmer months. So for now there is definitely a fruit hefeweizen and a black ale waiting to be made. I plan on doing a fruit version of my saison -- probably apricot -- and maybe another winter version. I also want to brew up more gratzer, more green chile beer, a wit, a dubbel, a dunkelweizen and if I find the time and space, an oud bruin that will sit for a year until early 2013 after I complete the bar. Most of those beers will be small batches since I still have a good 16 gallons in bottles, plus 9 gallons in the fermenters. I'll also be rebuilding my hop garden and ordering some more rhizomes in the hopes that the summer of 2012 will be less brutal than 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment