Piwo Kielich: Part 2 -- It's finally arrived - Brain Sparging on Brewing

Latest

Sour beer, saisons, farmhouse beer, homebrewing, ramblings

August 20, 2010

Piwo Kielich: Part 2 -- It's finally arrived

Wow.

Seriously an amazing beer. I try to be a little more modest about my beers because I know I'm not at the level that many other people are, but I have to say this one is really great. Sorry I didn't get a picture on this first bottle, I was too excited to give it a taste.

Color: The color is typical of wheat beers: a golden brown white a very white head. Because of the high carbonation the head is more reminiscent of Duvel than a hefeweizen. It is reasonably clear, although not quite kristalweizen quality. Next time I'll try using irish moss in the boil and gelatin in the fermenter to further clarify.

Smell: It has a smokey, roasted wheat smell. Very good. There's not much of a hops aroma, due mostly to not using aroma hops...

Taste: The first thing that you taste is roasty wheat, followed quickly by the smoke. Although the beer is reasonably well hopped, the hops take a back seat in the flavor and help tie the wheat and smoke together into a very nicely blended combination of flavor. I guess the best way to describe it would be a nice wheat roll lightly buttered and toasted in a smoker and covered with a vegetable spread. I don't know that that is completely accurate, but that's as close as I can get.

Mouthfeel: Very thin for a wheat beer, but solid for an ale. Goes down smooth with nice carbonation.


All in all, I am very happy with this beer. I don't know how historically accurate it is, but it's definitely on the list of beers to repeat in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment