Exodus Red Ale - Brain Sparging on Brewing

Latest

Sour beer, saisons, farmhouse beer, homebrewing, ramblings

July 15, 2010

Exodus Red Ale



This is my second recipe and I'm really happy with how it turned out. It has a very thick mouthfeel and the hops are well balanced. The only thing I don't like is that it is a very dark red. It's more of a brown color but it definitely has a red ale flavor.










Recipe:





3 Gallons


SG: 1.049
FG: 1.015
ABV: 4.48
Color: 12.9 SRM
IBU: 32.7

Grains:


5lb Pale Malt
.33lb Crystal 60L
.10lb Flaked Barley
.10lb Chocolate Malt



Hops:


1 oz Fuggles 60 min
.5 oz Fuggles 15 min
.25 oz Fuggles 10 min



Yeast:
European Ale Wyeast 1338

Mash schedule:

Mash in 11.06 qt at 95 for 45 min
Decoct 2.95 qt
122 for 60 min
Decoct 3.69 qt
148 for 30 min
Decoct 2 qt
158 for 30 min
Mash out at 168

Fermentation:



3 weeks at 68
Bottle condition 5 weeks



Notes:


As you can probably tell, I followed a triple decoction mash schedule. I don't believe decoctions are necessary, especially for English ales. However, I wanted to figure out the technique before I tried it on wheat beers or Belgians, which typically do use some sort of decoction process. Also, when I bought my grains, the LHBS didn't have flaked barley so I substituted pale malt. Since I didn't have flaked barley to add thickness, the decoction was my substitute.

Let me say, this ale is awesome. It has a tremendous thick mouthfeel. It almost, but not quite, has a stout mouthfeel. That's pretty impressive for a beer that's almost straight pale malt (in my opinion).

It has a solid red ale taste and the fuggle hops (although I know so many people are not a fan) meld really well together. As I've said before, I'm not a tremendous fan of hoppy beers. This is on the upper reach of my enjoyment of a hoppy beer, but it works really well because it's balanced with a great maltiness. I find Smithwick's -- the standard for red ales -- a little thin and boring. This beer really kicks up the taste without going overboard and becoming an imperial red. I think this has a flavor more like Sam Adams Irish Red, but a much thicker mouthfeel.

I definitely foresee myself making this again. I might try making it with a single infusion mash, but I will definitely make future batches with a triple decoction.

Pictures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment