Pivo Kielich Grodziskie #2 Review - Brain Sparging on Brewing

Latest

Sour beer, saisons, farmhouse beer, homebrewing, ramblings

December 12, 2015

Pivo Kielich Grodziskie #2 Review

I've hung on to this review a little longer than I expected but hey I finally got to sit down with this beer and give it a fair review. My first rendition of a grodziskie was a little under 5% and actually too big for the traditional style. This second shot at the style was around a more historically accurate ABV at 2.7%. A very light beer. Let's get to this:

Appearance: Pours a very light yellow color, nearly an off-white. Early pours before yeast had fully settled had the color of egg whites. Slightly cloudy, less so as the beer has aged. Not as cloudy as one might expect for a 100% wheat beer. Pours a nice white head but quickly dissipates to thin white bubbles.

Aroma: Aroma is mild with mellow smoke, light orange, lime and melon. Not much going on there, honestly.

Flavor: Hop bitterness is immediate followed by a wash of smooth smokiness. Mild maltiness and wheat tangles with lime, orange, lemon, generic melon and minimal floralness. Hops definitely assertive in the flavor. Hop floralness and smoke linger in the aftertaste with smoke prevailing.

Mouthfeel: Body is thin but the wheat protein helps curb a sense of wateriness. It has the heft of a 4-5% barley beer although the flavor is much milder. It's an interesting sensory experience.

Overall: It's an incredibly easy beer to drink. It's the kind of beer you can drink by the liter--if you like smoked beer that much--without getting much of a buzz. I actually wish I had made the beer a bit bigger so the smoke flavor had some heft. I also wish I had opted for different hops. I'm just not a big fan of the celeia hops I used. That lime/floral mix isn't my favorite. It's also too assertive for this beer. Really dominates the flavor. I should have stuck to something noble or noble-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment