Petrus Aged Pale Clone Goes to the Secondary - Brain Sparging on Brewing

Latest

Sour beer, saisons, farmhouse beer, homebrewing, ramblings

October 15, 2012

Petrus Aged Pale Clone Goes to the Secondary

I brewed this Petrus Aged Pale Clone following the recipe in Wild Brews mid-September. On Friday I racked it to a corny keg with the addition of half an ounce of oak and the dregs of a bottle of Petrus Aged Pale. I didn't realize until later that night that the bottle of Aged Pale I had was at least half a year old, if not older, and there may not be a lot of viable critters in the dregs. I plan on picking up another bottle this week and supplementing the fermentor with the additional dregs.

The sacc strain I picked up from the bottle of South Austin Golden Ale did a great job of fermenting the beer and leaving behind lots of good esters to work with the souring process. The beer went into the secondary at 1.007 so there's still some food for souring. I may add some maltodextrin along the way to add some extra food. I'll just have to see how it progresses.

I'm glad I was able to get a good amount washed out of the yeast. It's definitely a new favorite Belgian strain in my house so it will get added to my frozen yeast bank later this fall along with the Dupont strain I cultured and 3711 I plan on culturing out of a bottle of Jester King. I need to email the brewery and ask if they will disclose the identity of the strain.

No comments:

Post a Comment